als home

Sunderland AFC v hull (h)...
match report

Sunderland recorded back to back victories and their first home league win of the season with an emphatic 3-0 triumph over Hull City at the SOL on Saturday. Jermaine Defoe opened the scoring with his 150th Premier League goal before Victor Anichebe capped another man of the match display with a brace in a game which was interrupted bizarrely for ten minutes with a power failure which saw the stadium plunge into darkness. To add to the drama Papy Djilobodji was dismissed at the death after picking up his second yellow card of the game but it didn’t take the shine off what was a well deserved three points.

Despite him not having him available for the past few weeks Sunderland were rocked by the news that skipper Lee Cattermole needed surgery on his hip ruling him out for at least four months according to David Moyes in his pre match press conference. There was some good news on the injury front with Victor Anichebe available even with a broken rib whilst Fabio Borini and Jan Kirchhoff are both nearing returns.

Although too early in the season to be labelled a six pointer the visit of Hull presented a huge opportunity for Sunderland to record back to back wins although the Tigers are somewhat of a bogey team for the lads. Hull are unbeaten against Sunderland in the last five meetings winning four and drawing one and Mike Phelan’s side headed to Wearside buoyed having come from behind to beat Southampton in there last outing.

Having been sent off a fortnight ago in our victory at Bournemouth Steven Pienaar served a one game suspension although the game came too soon for Jack Rodwell who is struggling with a hamstring injury. The visitors were without injured strikers Will Keane and Abel Hernandez whilst Adama Diomande was suspended. David Moyes made one change from the side that started at the Vitality Stadium with Jason Denayer replacing Steven Pienaar.

The visitors started brightly and Jordan Pickford had to be alert to deny Mbokani before Clucas blazed a shot over the bar from a decent position which was a big let off for Sunderland. He was found unmarked in the box by former Sunderland winger Ahmed Elmohamady but cleared the cross bar with his left footed effort.

Sunderland took about fifteen minutes to get going and forged a decent opening when Anichebe clipped in a cross for Billy Jones who made a good run forward but the full back dragged his shot across goal and Hull managed to clear. Soon after we had a shout for a penalty waved away when Watmore appeared to be brought down by Hull goalkeeper David Marshall but the ref waved away the protests.

With half an hour played Jermaine Defoe had his first sight of goal when he was found by Watmore but his effort was just off the mark. Five minutes later the clinical hit man found the net and notched his 150thPremier League goal with an expertly finished off solo strike. Defoe was played in on goal after Anichebe did well holding up the ball on the halfway line and although he had two defenders in front of him Defoe glided past them with ease before drilling a low left footed shot into the bottom corner.

Neither side made any changes at the break but after only playing a couple minutes of the second half the power went off with the floodlights and scoreboards all going off. The stadium was lit by a couple of thousand lights from camera phones before an announcement was made that the lights should be back on within ten minutes thanks to a backup generator. Both sides went through a bit of a warm up before the game was restarted although the scoreboards and floodlights behind either goal remained off.

With half an hour to go David Moyes’ side doubled their lead with another well worked goal after van Aanholt fed Anichebe who powered his shot into the bottom corner. Hull almost responded immediately and Jordan Pickford had to produce an outstanding save to tip over Robert Snodgrass’ overhead kick over the bar. The shot seemed destined to loop over Pickford and nestle in the net but the young stopped quickly moved his feet and demonstrated his agility to flick the ball over the bar.

Pickford was in the thick of the action ten minutes later when he produced another couple of terrific saves in a scramble in which somehow Hull did not manage to score. A corner was curled in which was glanced goal wards which Pickford parried, the rebound was then stabbed towards goal and again Pickford clawed the ball away. The loose ball then looked to have been hooked over the line but van Aanholt headed off the line and Sunderland scrambled away the danger.

With ten minutes remaining Sunderland made their first change with O’Shea replacing Denayer and two minutes later we sealed the victory with Anichebe’s second of the game. The powerful forward was picked out by Jermaine Defoe’s clever cross but Anichebe’s wonderful first touch created the space for him to emphatically blast the ball into the roof of the net and send the fans wild.

That wasn’t the end of the drama though as Paddy McNair picked up an injury and had to be replaced by Donald Love before Papy Djilobodji was sent off for picking up a second yellow after a clumsy challenge. There was four minutes of injury time which passed without incident with the massive three points lifting Sunderland off the bottom of the table.

Final Score – Sunderland 3 Hull City 0

ALS Man of the Match – Victor Anichebe

Aidan Crowe

ALS T Shirts click here

back to match menu